OK, I don't want to complain because I really do love my kids, but lately, I have felt overwhelmed to the max with everyday life. At MOPS, we call these the dailies. I am so sick of the dailies. Most of the dailies I am sick of involve the kitchen. First off, we have an ant problem. We have tried everything to get rid of these pesky little nasty bugs. I generally keep a very clean house, so it isn't like I live in a nasty disgusting mess so I don't know why they insist on living here. Because we have them, I have to keep every crumb cleaned up. Let me walk you through a day in the life of this stay at home mommy:
6:15 Wake up and shower in peace before the little angels awake. I also am fanatic about making my bed every morning. It is an obsession. The bed must be made in the morning!
6:30 Hear Monkey fuss, pray he goes back to sleep.
6:45 Scarf down some breakfast.
7:00 Goober wakes up and refuses to leave his bed without me going in to get him up. I give him a bath every other day. He whines because he doesn't want to take a bath and then when it is time to get out, he whines because he doesn't want to get out.
7:15 Have Goober dressed and make him breakfast, while I start laundry for the day and get Monkey's breakfast. Monkey wakes up at a different time every day. When he gets up, it is breakfast for him after a diaper change and getting him dressed. While they eat, I wash the dishes and wipe down the counters. After they are done, wipe down the high chairs and table. Scrub the floor underneath them, wash hands and faces. Argue with Goober about cartoons.
8:15 Yes, breakfast and cleaning up takes at least an hour, sometimes more. After breakfast, the boys play while I get Monkey's bedding washed. He leaks in his diaper every night, so I have to wash all of his bedding daily.
9:30 Break up the 147th fight between the two boys.
9:45 Time for a snack. After snack, scrub floor again and wash dishes again. Wipe counters yet again.
10:00 Time for another diaper change. Usually a clothing change for at least one of the boys because of the snack.
10:15 Nap time for monkey. I switch laundry around and usually vacuum or dust while he is sleeping. I also try to find some snuggle time with Goober.
11:00 Monkey wakes up and it is time to start making lunch as hubby comes home at 11:30. Yes, I make his lunch. I spoil him. :) Repeat the entire kitchen cleaning process yet again. Wash counters, wash dishes, clean floor, wash hands, wash face, I think you get the point.
12:00 Hubby heads back to school and I have to console Goober because he wants to play with daddy. Head into the family room where the boys play until they get tired of destroying that room, so we head into the piano room or one of their bedrooms to destroy that room. I usually fold the morning's laundry at this time and put it away with help from the boys. I use the word help lightly.
1:00 Watch Caillou (world's most annoying cartoon). After Caillou, Monkey gets another bottle, Goober gets his teeth brushed and we read books before a nap. While they nap, I usually sit for 15 minutes in peace and quiet. It is heavenly. Then I begin to feel guilty that I am sitting and not doing anything productive, so I get up and clean a bathroom or something. I also clean up the avalanche of toys from the morning.
2:30 Boys start waking up. When they wake up, we have diaper change number three for the day. Both of them like to snuggle when they wake up, but not both of them at the same time, so one usually cries on the floor while I snuggle the other and we switch.
3:00 Another snack time and kitchen cleanup number 23 of the day.
4:00 More play time for Goober while Monkey sits in the kitchen sink while I start supper. Yes, he sits in the sink full of water and plays. This entertains him for up to an hour, so I let him do it. It is weird, but I don't care. Diaper changes for both kids before supper.
5:30 Supper is on the table. I scarf my food so I can wait on everyone else and get the dishes cleaned up from supper.
7:00 I am finally done in the kitchen. We play for an hour or so.
8:00 Time to start the bed time routine. Goober plays while Monkey gets a diaper change and a bottle and gets rocked until he is sleepy.
8:30 Monkey goes to bed and the Goober gets a diaper change, a small snack, teeth brushed and books read.
9:00 Tell hubby I am exhausted and go to bed only to be waken up by someone within five minutes of falling asleep. Turn on the TV and stare blankly at it until I fall asleep.
Throughout the night, comfort scared toddler, feed hungry baby.
The next day, repeat.
Like I said, I feel overwhelmed with the monotony of my day. I feel like someone always needs something or something always needs to be cleaned, fixed or put together. I feel like I have no idea how to divide my time between the housework, myself, my husband and the boys. Some days I feel like it is just too much and that maybe I am not cut out for this mommy stuff. Do any other mommies feel this way?
Ugh. Anyway, that is my gripe for the day. I love my boys so much, but good Lord are they needy and exhausting.
Thursday, May 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Some Mommy to Mommy advice: Buy paper plates for snack time, saves a lot of clean up time and washing dishes time. I also put their snacks on paper towels from time to time, just make sure your little one doesn't eat them. Now that I think about it maybe that's a tip for older kids, lol. Also, don't allow yourself to stress so much over keeping a clean house. I am a clean freak to the fullest extent of the definition but I've learned the older my kids get to care a little less which makes me stress a little less. "Cleaning the house while your kids are growing is like shoveling the snow while it's still snowing" it's a never ending battle.
hi kelli!! i do feel like this a lot!! i am working on trying not to stress about house work and focusing on stuff i want to do while my children nap. the only time i REALLY clean the house is when someone comes over! lol!
Post a Comment